Campus Advisory Classes are in session remotely through the end of spring semester. Our satellite centers in Manhattan, Hudson Valley and Suffolk County are closed; however, all staff and units are accessible remotely. Adelphi's Garden City campus is operational with only essential personnel on-site. » COVID-19 Response

Coronavirus Updates on Operations: Department or campus operations may be modified during this time. Please call or email the department for more information or visit

International Services


Driving in the United States

International students and scholars, and their dependents, may be eligible to drive a motor vehicle while residing in the United States. However, those who wish to operate a vehicle must successfully understand the driving rules and requirements and apply for and receive a driver’s license.

Know Before You Go

Driving a car without a driver’s license is illegal. To acquire a driver’s license, you must apply for one at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which can have a different name in some states. 

New York DMV New Jersey MVC

Getting a Driver’s Learning Permit

Before you can get a license, you must apply for a learner permit at the DMV office and take the written test. You can prepare by reading the specific state requirements and drivers manual and taking practice tests.

» Apply for a learner permit

In order to obtain a learner permit, you must be prepared with the following:

Drivers License Application Process

Review the appropriate state information about driving rules and regulations in your state or territory.

» Getting a driver’s license in New York

Know Before You Go: Important Information

  • You must wait 10 days after arriving in the United States and having your SEVIS record activated by your designated school official prior to applying for a driver’s license. Please confirm with International Services that your SEVIS record is inactive status by emailing
  • You must have a Social Security number (SSN), or letter from the Social Security Administration indicating you do not have a SSN in order to apply for a driver’s license.
  • Make sure you have all necessary and valid documents in order to meet your 6 points of identification.
  • Visiting and submitting the proper documentation to the DMV.

Driving in the United States

Follow Adelphi Global at:  

Follow Adelphi International Life at:   

For further information, please contact:

International Services
Post Hall, Room 203
p – 516.877.4990
e –

Apply Now
Request Information