Campus Advisory Access the latest updates, FAQs, and resources for the Adelphi community on the global coronavirus pandemic. » COVID-19 Updates

Coronavirus Updates on Operations: Department or campus operations may be modified during this time. Please call or email the department for more information or visit

International Services

Employment Sponsored by International Organizations

F-1 students are eligible to apply for an EAD from the USCIS in order to work in an internship with a recognized international organization within the meaning of the International Organization Immunities Act [22 USC 288; 59 Stat. 669].


  • The students is eligible to file for work authorization as soon they are in F-1 status; no academic-year waiting period. 
  • Available only while the student is in F-1 status, before completion of the educational objective.
  • The location of employment must be with a qualified international organization; List of International Organizations 
  • Employment is granted by USCIS in increments of no more than one year, or until expected date of employment completion or program completion, whichever is shorter
  • Employment does not have to be related to course of study, but international organizations usually hire students for positions in their field of study
  • Student must have a written offer of employment from a qualifying international organization; In all likelihood, should not be for a position which would qualify individuals for G status.
  • Student must apply for EAD from USCIS, and receive EAD before employment begins.
  • Student must continue to maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment.

How to Apply:

Step 1:

Request and obtain the DSO endorsed authorization from International Services for this type of employment. 

  • Submit the following documentation to International Services at
  • A job offer letter from a recognized international organization
  • A letter from your academic advisor, stating: that you are in good academic standing and your anticipated completion of studies date and his or her recommendation that you accept this internship

Please allow international services 10 days to review and process your request.  You will be notified in email when your request is complete.

Step 2:

Once you receive your off campus employment endorsed I-20, you must file a Form I-765, “Application for Employment Authorization,”  with the USCIS and pay all appropriate fees to USCIS. You are responsible for filing the application within 30 days of the day the DSO endorses the Form I-20. If USCIS approves the application, the student will receive a Form I-766, “Employment Authorization Document,” (EAD) from USCIS and can begin working.

Applications Requirements:

  • Complete Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, using the appropriate code per instructions.
  • Your Form I-20 with employment recommendation from DSO within 30 days
  • Photocopies of all previous Form I-20 documents
  • I-94 Arrival / Departure Document
  • Obtain 2 passport photos
  • A copy of your job offer letter
  • Letter from academic department that the student is in good academic standing
  • Check or money order for the appropriate I-765 fee indicated on the USCIS website
  • Form G-1145, in order to receive an e-notification of application receipt from USCIS

The employment authorization may be granted in one year intervals up to the expected date of completion of the student’s current course of study. A student has permission to engage in off-campus employment only if the student receives the EAD endorsed to that effect. Off-campus employment authorization may be renewed by the Service only if the student is maintaining status and good academic standing. The employment authorization is automatically terminated whenever the student fails to maintain status.

Follow Adelphi Global at:  

Follow Adelphi International Life at:   

For further information, please contact:

International Services
Post Hall, Room 203
p – 516.877.4990
e –

Apply Now
Request Information