International Services


Curricular Practical Training

Curricular practical training is alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion academic training.  

» Learn more about CPT

Quick Facts About CPT

  • CPT is one option of practical training in the United States for eligible F-1 students during academic studies
  • CPT is integral to the students major, listed on the form I-20, and the experience must be part of your program of study
  • CPT requires a pre-existing or signed cooperative agreement or letter between the school and employer
  • CPT is defined as Alternative work/study, Internship, Cooperative education, or Required practicum
  • F-1 students are eligible to engage in curricular practical training after maintaining valid F-1 status for one full academic year.
  • CPT experiences and authorized training must be an integral part of an established curriculum and be in the form of an internship. 
  • The training requires college credit, academic program registration, and International Services Authorization prior to any employment start date.


  • Employment must be an integral part of an established curriculum as stated by the student’s academic department and the course curriculum.  
  • Employment must be in the form of an internship authorized in agreement through Adelphi University.
  • Requires college credit and program authorization during the period of time the student is enrolled for the internship.  Ex. If the student is requesting an internship for the fall semester, the student must be enrolled for the internship/individual credit-bearing course during the fall semester (not before and not after), if the student is applying for the summer internship the student must be enrolled for the summer.
  • Must have maintained valid F-1 status for one full academic year prior to applying for CPT (Students engaged in pathway programs do not accrue time toward status)
  • Student must show evidence that the internship is a requirement of their academic major
  • CPT authorization is required for all off-campus internships whether paid or unpaid
  • Please note using 12 months of full-time CPT will affect your OPT eligibility

Application Process

To file for CPT, please log into your student eCampus account and select the International Services icon or go to International Services requires 5 business days for processing of all requests. 

  • Select Available Term
  • Read Instructions
  • Complete CPT Questionnaire CPT Employment Information
  • Indicate Social Security Number Information
  • Request Electronic Recommendation from Academic Advisor (You must be enrolled for academic credit to received CPT or be part of the Jaggar Community Fellows Program)
  • Attach letter from sponsoring employer signed and on company letterhead indicating the following required information:  Start and End Date of Employment, Number of Hours Per Week, Salary, Supervisors Name and Contact Information, Role of student intern and responsibilities

» Apply Now

Additional Information

» STUDY in the STATES, Working in the United States
» U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Employment Guidelines

Follow Adelphi Global at:  

Follow Adelphi International Life at:   

For further information, please contact:

International Services
p – 516.877.4990
e –

Apply Now
Request Information